|Town Hall level:||5|
To be able to hire Captains, you must first build a Tavern in your port.
- When the Tavern is ready, we can now click on it to see the "Hire" button, or click on the Captains icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Upon clicking it, we will be presented with a large menu that shows us all currently available captains, classified into three tabs:
- HIRED CAPTAINS: the captains we have bought already and we are free to use them.
- CAPTAINS: the captains currently available in our Tavern. The selection of captains changes every day and includes about 3 gem captains and 2 captains available for coins (Tip: Buy the coin captains every day).
- EVENT CAPTAINS: Just like above, but this tab will only feature captains specific for the current event.
Assigning a captain
- In this new window, you can see all your owned captains, the effects they provide, as well as the remaining number of voyages the effect will work on. After all the voyages are used, the captain will disappear.
Removing & changing captains
- If you decide that you want to use a ship for something else for the time being, or that you want to save your captain for a different day, you can remove a captain from a ship without losing the remaining charges. You will be able to re-add said captain to any ship in the future.
- Remove. You can then add another one, or send a ship on a voyage without any captains at all.
- Switch. Faster than previous option in case you want to add a different captain.
List of captains
|Cost||500 x||1,000 x||5,000 x||10,000 x||50,000 x|
| Sailor Swift|
|5 x||10 x||20 x||40 x||80 x|
| Drew Carrymore|
|5 x||10 x||25 x||50 x||100 x|
|Gol D. Igger||50%||100%||250%||500%||1,000%|
- Don't use gems to buy captains. Gems are best used to buy ships.
- Regular Captains are NOT reusable, even if you deplete the captain that same day (before the list of Regular Captains is refreshed). Try to save these captains for long and high-reward voyages, such as overnight trips to Riviera.
- Event Captains are reusable, so feel free to use them as much as you like! When you've used up all the voyages on an Event Captain, it returns to the Tavern.
- Don't buy +XP captains. There is no real benefit to leveling up faster. Event contracts scale to your level, so if you can't keep ships, warehouses, and production buildings up to scale with your level, the event contracts become much harder. Farming XP also prevents your ships from gathering other resources, which holds back the development of your port. The only benefit to leveling up faster is access to better ships. However, as these ships are also a lot more expensive, you probably won't be able to afford them anyway (except for gem ships, which cost roughly the same at every level).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If I send a captain that enhances gains of MATERIAL A with a ship that travels to a destination with MATERIAL B, will I lose charges?
- No, the voyages, or charges, are only subtracted when a captain is used on a voyage that pertains to his effect. So for example, sending a captain that provides higher profit on COINS to a STONE destination, will not use ANY charges!
Do captain effects work on materials shipped to contractors?
- No, just tested with a regular contractor and with Her Majesty.
Do captain effects work on Market Town trips (to sell materials)?
- Sadly, no, they do not.
Does the bonus from bonus experience captains stack with the additional XP provided by steamships?
- Yes, it does.
I'm waiting and waiting but I'm never offered captains that increase profit on wood/stone/iron/etc.
- Unfortunately there is a random factor here. Also, some captains are clearly less frequent than others. Based on general experience with the system, the most frequently available captains are the XP, Destination Cost, and +Sailor ones.